Friday, February 8, 2013

Trailering Madison

I cut up some pool noodles and used those to support the spars and mast for our recent road trip.

From Sunfish Sailboat

I pulled the boat 100 miles and road like a dream, I bought this Magic Tilt jetski trailer on Craigslist, the bunks fit great and the boat rides low and secure. I used a boat strap across the middle, near the daggerboard well and lines on the bow and stern to keep the boat from sliding left/right and fore aft. Plus there is a winch and strap on the front, but I don't tighten the hook too tight on the bow handle. Howie's tip is to support the boat and tie it down where fiberglass meets fiberglass, examples being by the mast step, the daggerboard well and by around the cockpit.

From Sunfish Sailboat

I forgot to secure the boom block, so it rattled on the deck a bit. The aluminum marred the wax and gelcoat a bit, but it will polish out.

From Sunfish Sailboat

I had one trailer light not cooperate, it may have been "waterproof" but it was not corrosion proof. I bought replacement light, here's the old and new.

From Sunfish Sailboat

The new light has 3 slots on the back for 2 mounting screws. I put the screws in the wrong slots first, they didn't line up and after a few choice words I realized that there was a third slot...ooops!

From Sunfish Sailboat

From Sunfish Sailboat

I wire brushed the frame where the ground wire attaches.

From Sunfish Sailboat

I stripped the wires with a special tool

From Sunfish Sailboat

Then crimped the ends into a wire splice. Match the colors! Another option is to solder.

From Sunfish Sailboat

Leave the excess wire and store it inside the frame or zip tie it, that way you have extra to work with if you have to do some repairs. I learned today that wiring harnesses only last 2-4 years near the saltwater, and the main problem for lights that don't work is blown fuses, followed by faulty grounds.

From Sunfish Sailboat




No comments:

Post a Comment