Saturday, March 24, 2018

Redtree Fooler Chip Brush

24 Mar 18:

If you have a unicorn bristle varnish brush that has been handed down through generations, carefully used, cleaned with vintage spirits and religiously stored under lock and key, then please read no further, as it might offend sensibility. I don't have one, probably because my Dad didn't varnish. I was watching a varnishing video made by everyone's buddy Louis Sauzeede, and he mentioned that he liked the double thick chip brush sold by Jamestown Distributors. I liked the ides of a thicker, disposable brush for our varnish jobs and if it is good enough for the fine work that Louis turns out then it is definitely good enough for me. I checked into it on the Jamestown Distributor website and they are made by Redtree, called The Fooler.


The Fooler is good enough to do the job and cheap enough to toss. $1.21 for the one inch and $1.57 for the 2 inch. The sticker on the brush packaging says it can be used for epoxy, resin, industrial coatings and bottom paint. No mention of varnish. In fact it says "Not for fine finishes." My finishes have been described as nice and beautiful, but never fine, so I think I'm okay to keep using them. I hope no one ever calls my hastily brushed varnish jobs fine, because then I'd feel obligated to get a $27 Italian brush to justify the compliment, and keep it wrapped up in the shop in a 20,000 thread count bamboo robe. Until then I'll keep buying Foolers, they felt nice in the hand and there were enough bristles to hold the varnish and keep it flowing evenly onto the work surface.




Talk amongst yourselves...

Available through Jamestown Distributors

No comments:

Post a Comment