Monday, September 9, 2013

DePersia Bailer

I bought a DePersia bailer for the wooden Sunfish Chip.

From Small Boat Restoration 2013

The bailer has the standard nylon ball that will float up when the boat is not moving and seal the bailer hole.

From Small Boat Restoration 2013

The bailer has a screw cap that can be opened and closed to let water out of the boat.

From Small Boat Restoration 2013

From Small Boat Restoration 2013

This is the bailer for our 1953 Sunfish :)

From Small Boat Restoration 2013


4 comments:

  1. I have a bailer that looks exactly like the one you picture on a 1973 SunFish. I have seen the bailer ball many times but now it is gone. I assume it dissentigrated and went away. Do you know where I could buy a replacement? I don't even know the size of the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appears to be 1/2 inch, and I believe it is a different size than the newer bailer ball. Not sure where to buy them, maybe do a google search of craft supplies. Seems a wood ball would work. And be careful, there is a little washer in there to trap the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clark,
    I finally removed old DePersia bailer. It was a corroded mess. I used a Dremel grinder to cut off the retaining nut, knocked off the bottom piece and then a hacksaw blade to cut slots in the lining pipe. It looked like the the gap between the VEE hull and flat bailer was filled with silicone. Considering that the plastic bailer isn't as sturdy as the metal piece I'd like to fill in the gap with something other than Silicone. What would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work getting the bailer off. There's no need for sealant, just fresh O rings. A sealant or adhesive just makes removal more difficult later.

    ReplyDelete