Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Zip gets a strip

Our 1953 Sunfish Zip got a cursory glance on the bottom when we restored her in 2013. There is a leak and we had some epoxy runs so we decided to strip the bottom, clean out the seams, recaulk and put on a fresh coat of Rustoleum Topside red.

We carefully removed the old paint with a belt sander and 40 grit, making sure to use light pressure and hold the sander flat. For the seams along the keel we used a putty knife and in some areas an oscillating tool to remove failed sealant.

Paint swatch test, we used Rustoleum Topside marine paint Bright Red, which is the color on the right bow and a small stripe over the Interlux Brightside Fire Red. The oil base in Rustoleum should condition the wood.

Zip had a date at the Bagdad Riverfest boat show. Those streaks are epoxy runs from where I put the West System for the sides on too thick in 2013, they had to go. The peeling seam compound in the keel also had to go, it appears to be polysulfide.

Belt sander with a light touch, 40 grit then 120. The shop vac with a HEPA filter hooks up to the belt sander, plus I wore a mask, goggles, hat, gloves and a long sleeve shirt...and pants. Putty knife to scrape out seam compound and clear a groove for Pettit Flexpoxy.

The seam compound peeled out easy....too easy, maybe the source of our leak.

Found a nice scarf on the port side bottom.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment