Saturday, December 24, 2016

St. Jacques Log 24 Dec 16 Rudder and Centerboard

24 Dec 16:

Gathered bolts and bushings for the centerboard and rudder. I decided to use the same size for both pieces. Got a 5/16th inch bolt and what I thought was a copper pipe with 3/8 inch inner diameter to use as a bushing. I drilled the hole for the bushing then discovered that I bought the wrong size and now the hole was too big. So back to Ace Hardware and they hooked me up with 2 different size bronze bushings that they pressed together. So now I had a good bushing to fill the oversize holes and the correct inner diameter. Trimmed to fit with a reciprocating saw and bedded with Jamestown Distributors TotalBoat THIXO thickened epoxy. Got the fast cure because I expected temps to be in the 60s.





Measured the centerboard case and rudder head to determine required bolt length.





Checked the fit.



Click here for St. Jacques complete log.

No comments:

Post a Comment