Friday, March 17, 2017

St. Jacques Log 17 Mar 17 Gunwale, Knee and Breasthook

17 Mar 17:

Silicone bronze screws, TotalBoat sealant, Gleam Satin Varnish and varnish kit arrived from Jamestown Distributors. I was able to call them, talk to a knowledgeable person and order over the phone. Free shipping to CONUS because I bought a VIP membership for $59.99 USD, which paid for itself months ago.


Starboard side outer gunwale scarf fastened with Pettit Marine Paint Flexpoxy. Once it dries we might add a silicone bronze screw as well.


Irwin pilot drill and countersink for a #10 Frearson silicone bronze wood screw. I bought the Irwins at Lowes, Jamestown Distributors sells a full set by Fuller as well.


#10 silicone bronze screw for the outer gunwales. Why silicone bronze? Because we want this to be a 100 year boat vs a 7 year boat. "Traditional boatbuilders love these Silicon Bronze wood screws because they have cut threads and the full-bodied diameter shank. Unlike rolled thread screws with their reduced shank--these screws have a shank diameter that is the same size as the outside of the threads. This completely fills the clearance hole normally drilled for the shank thus creating a waterproof seal" (JD, 2017). Silicone bronze is also one of the most durable materials to use in the marine environment, especially below waterlines. Had I known earlier I would have considered them vs the 316 stainless.


Pulled the angle with a bevel for the thwart knee. Trimmed to fit around risers and duplicated for the other 3 seat knees.












Breasthook blank (triangular bow section). 6/4 S4S or 1 1/2 inch thick cypress, will be shaped down to 1 1/4 inch along the gunwales.


Cut bevel on forward edge of breasthook blank.


Found angle for sides of breasthook. It has to fit down and in, so that angle needs to be moved over. Arch describes how to do it in his book, my method is a little different so use at your own peril. (Edit: My method was wrong! I brought the top lines in instead of taking them out further to match the bevel. Ooops).


Found vertical to move breasthook bevel over, it will sit inside the gunwale. (Edit: Turns out this spacing was moved the wrong direction, I should have moved it outward vs inward. We want the top 1/4 inch of the breasthook to sit above the gunwale, so it can be shaped with a slight crown.)


Moved over breasthook bevel. (Edit: The wrong way...)


Marked forward edge of breasthook side profile.


Marked underside of breasthook side profile.


Drew cut lines for breasthook. I suppose you could cut from the top or bottom, depending on your saw. My intent was to cut it a bit wide and finish it to fit with a rasp and plane....stay tuned for breaking news.


I cut the port side line and the fit looked good. I wanted to cut outside the starboard side line to leave it a little proud for fitting the breasthook....well I moved the spacing the wrong way and I cut on the wrong side of the line! Moaning chair time. Looks like I need to adjust for the sweep a little as well.


5 minute epoxy in our future?

St. Jacques Log

No comments:

Post a Comment