Monday, July 9, 2018

The Fountain Of Youth by Howard Rice

09 Jul 18:

Small Craft Advisor article by Howard Rice that addresses how to keep the mind and body in shape for small boating. (The Fountain of Youth. SCA. Jul/Aug 2018). Thanks to Editor Joshua Colvin for permission to repost and Mr. Rice for sharing his thoughts!

(Image: Howard Rice)

The Fountain of Youth is a mythic spring that supposedly restores the youth of anyone who drinks or bathes in its waters. More than ever I am convinced the small-boat lifestyle is a bona fide fountain of youth. Each of us who sail, paddle, row or power small boats do so for reasons mostly known only to us. However, I would bet more than a few of us would list the youth-giving aspects of our pursuit as very important. These aspects range from childlike senses of wonder as nature unfolds before us to the actual physical fitness needed to boat small. If we are mentally challenged and physically pushed then I reckon we are rolling back the years. I purposely live what I refer to as a “rigorous life,” a life of action and fun. Small boat use has youth written all over it. The noble pursuit of yachting small is a true elixir in a world of snake oil consumerism leading us to get more and more comfort stuff, to add to a pile we likely don’t need, likely won’t use—stuff that takes up time as empty thing calories. Sinking teeth into the “real” of the small boat world is satisfying and has kept men and women young since time immemorial. When we think about small (doable) boats we engage pleasurable creative parts pf our brain. When we use a small boat, we use more of our brains through navigating, steering, trimming sails and we use virtually all of our muscles and in doing so we become stronger mentally and physically. In a sense, and a very real one, we become younger.

Commitment: I reflect back on a committed life afloat, a purposefully rigorous very much “alive” lifestyle with boats constantly in the starring roles. Like many of us I am always involved in the world of boats and their use. I have always happily been in 365 day a year training mode. Not the ball and chain sort of thing but a fun mixed training regimen of purpose and acknowledgement. I both purpose train (weights, bike, running, stretching, sailing, etc.) and I do what I refer to as acknowledged training. This being other work I do that I acknowledge is complimentary to my small boat base training. This could be cutting trees, boat building, cleaning, lifting heavy objects, fast walks, etc. All of this helps me feel flexible, quick of step and younger at heart. Each repetition, lift, fast walk is another sip from the small boat fountain of youth.

Stay Tuned: You likely keep your boat, sails, rig and outboard tuned so why not you too? Purpose training for boating should be ongoing at a relaxed fun pace. If you haven’t worked out in a while, see a doctor for the green light unless you are confident and ready, and then take the first step. Most small boats are akin to an alive set of weights in a gym. The best training for sailing is sailing. As we age it is recommended to adopt a schedule of moderate weight training, featuring a high repetition strategy for getting in shape and this is perfect for sailing. Sailors need strength and endurance in the form of thigh powered lifting, core/ stomach strength moves, overall upper body strength, repeated bicep/forearm curl ability, strong grip, stretch-ability and all topped off with endurance.
I train not just for boat activities but for daily life. With focus I can tune up weeks or months before a small boat voyage going from let’s say 75% base physical shape to 100% ready. The dream states and the physical workouts offer many benefits but none greater than a more “youthful me.” Small boats have helped me stay far younger than my numeric age. I have lived continually drinking from the small boat fountain of youth. Get a boat and begin to peel away the years.

The Rigorous Life: I mentioned living a “rigorous life” knowing this may sound a bit harsh but my version is not, well, not to me. I have lived on this earth in some mighty interesting places ranging from well-appointed homes to small boats and for the past 20 years a range of village life accommodations best described as mud-floor thatched huts. This living a bit rough or in a rigorous manner has helped me feel comfortable aboard small boats. I have taken this knowledge and applied it to living aboard small craft, which by any measure is rigorous unless one is prepared for the switch. The small boat lifestyle is a spartan affair. It may include chilly night sails, cramped quarters, wet gear, hard work and resultant sore muscles. As we age we begin to really experience the hard ground, the climb up to docks, launching and retrieving, anchoring, etc. Sounds like a pastime for the young, but it’s not if we treat the whole affair like a fantastic youth-giving exercise regimen that can benefit all aspects of our lives. Accept and revel in the whole rigorous thing; it’ll help you feel more alive if nothing else.

Commitment: Small boat use requires many skills, all of which can strengthen our minds through engagement, study, training opportunities and practice. An engaged mind is a younger mind, it is sharper, able to focus more quickly. It is good to commit to reading some of the hundreds of great books on our favorite subject.
I find it takes about three weeks of commitment from no training to the magic moment when going out for the brisk walk is no longer drudgery but is a necessity—a habit. If I don’t train I don’t feel as good physically and mentally, in a sense I feel older. When I know a small boat trip or voyage is coming up I focus and increase my training, going from fit to specifically fit and ready to sail.

Get Social: My small boat lifestyle seems too good to be true at times because of the places I have seen, the sailing, the adventure, the challenge, the quiet anchorages far from the din, but most importantly it’s the people I have met. There are few greater pleasures than standing around talking boats with like-minded folks. It’s pure magic and another of the youth-giving aspects of small boats.

If You Build It: In closing I reckon this old saying may be true: “There is no reward in the next life for not building a boat in this life.” Few activities will hit virtually all the youth-giving buttons like a small-boat build. Don’t end up like John Foster Kane in Citizen Kane uttering the lonely longing lament of “Rosebud.” Let your whole existence be the fulfillment of your Rosebud dream. See you out there!

FMI: Small Craft Advisor

No comments:

Post a Comment