Wednesday, November 24, 2021

SUPER POKEY Tow Vehicle Tail Light Wiring

 23 Nov 21:

Our Thor Daybreak 22DB tow vehicle SUPER POKEY had some issues with her tail lights, one had moisture intrusion inside the light assembly and the other was that one assembly was wired wrong. So much for quality control at the light manufacturer and the RV plant. 



We checked around to get it fixed, turns out that neither the chassis manufacturer or the coach manufacturer could get around to even checking the issue until 2022. So I took matters into my own hands and ordered new tail lights. The old lights had 8 wires and the new lights, from the same manufacturer, had 6 wires. 


Luckily a wiring scheme was available.


Through the process of deduction I ganged up the grounds, and guessed that black equalled purple on one wire. The I dusted off my Marine Corps Avionics Technician skills and did what I could to the wire bundle.


So far the dim/running, high/brake and reverse lights seem to be working properly when selected.


Now maybe we can get the State vehicle inspection signed off and SUPER POKEY will be back in the mix for tow vehicle duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment