Sunday, June 30, 2019

Shaving a Yak

30 Jun 19:

We were talking to our Son one day about how one project can expand into several and at one point you're not anywhere near working on the original thing you started out to work on. He says at his work they call that "shaving a yak." It has to do with task management and task shifting.

So yesterday, our example. I started off the day intending to clean some window frames inside. While I was cleaning the first few frames I thought, you know, since I have the cleaning gear out it might be a good time to pull those air registers down and rinse them off. So out comes the ladder, vacuum and drill, original task of window frame cleaning abandoned...around 0830. I got a few of the air vents cleaned and then we went to the the grocery store. On the way home I was thinking that CHIP was ready to come out of the Carriage House for Sea Trials, so I asked Skipper what the sequence of moves should be, what we call TETRIS, which is where we work the boat yard puzzle to find spots for 16 boats.

She said she wanted WAVE to go onto the finishing dolly so I could fix the nasty fiberglass patches I put on in 2000, and CHIP could have Wave's Dynamic dolly, cover and slip in the Sunfish Shack.

So WAVE dollied up to the Shack and was slid onto the grass.
WAVE uncovered.
CHIP rolled out to the Sunfish Hoist and hoisted clear of the finishing dolly.
Finishing dolly moved off to the side.
Dynamic dolly moved under CHIP.


CHIP lowered onto Dynamic Dolly.
CHIP rolled out by WAVE.

WAVE rolled into CARRIAGE House on finishing dolly.


CHIP covered with WAVE's cover.


Time to go back to vent cleaning inside, right? No! While I was rigging the sheets for the Sunfish Hoist I noticed that 2 of the sheets needed their ends whipped. So I pulled out the rigger's bag and whipped the ends, right? No! When I pulled out the rigger's bag I remembered that I needed to cut 2 daggerboard retaining lines, one for WAVE, one for PHOENIX, so I cut those. Then I whipped the ends of the two Sunfish sheets. Somewhere along the way ZIP got vacuumed, we used the Porter Cable cordless wet/dry vacuum to suck a gallon of water out of WAVE, and set up a box fan to circulate air through WAVE's hull.



CHIP rolled out to WAVE's slip in Sunfish Shack.


Oops, are those CHIP's floorboards sitting there on the paint table? Yep. Took those out the the Sunfish Shack and slid them under CHIP's boat cover. Then it was time to get back to the vent cleaning, which actually go finished and the ladder, vacuum and drill put away. Stairs got vacummed. Window frames have not been finished yet...

Graduate level Yak Shaving is called Zebra Striping :)

No comments:

Post a Comment