Sunday, August 23, 2020

Rockler Heavy Duty Quick Release Bench Vise

 22 Aug 20:

We built our work bench several years ago and bought a Rockler quick release vise for it, I finally got around to mounting the vise. First I cut out a section of the bench frame with the Kobalt 20V reciprocating saw. The screws holding it in stripped out when I tried to remove them, so I knocked the 2x4 chunk loose from the screws with Grandma Nelson's hammer. Then turned the screws out from below with vise grips.


Knit one, pearl two...these instructions were not super helpful as the descriptors did not match up with the labeled parts on the illustration. So I took my Marine Corps approach and started disassembling things until I got to a point where it made sense of how things go together. The only Uh Oh moment was when the quick release nut fell off in two pieces, it is the brains of the mechanism, but luckily I put it back together correctly.
 



Cut holes for the screw and sliders. Used an Irwin hole saw, 1 1/4 inch diameter I believe. Chose cypress for the vise faces, it should not mar work pieces.


Finito! The quick release mechanism is handy, it makes it easier to place an awkward size or heavy work piece in the vise with one hand and close or open the vise quickly with the other hand.






We used Grandma Nelson's hammer to tap down the corners a bit, and rubbed down the edges of the vise face blocks. Sometimes those edges and corners are sharp enough to cut skin.


Polly and Pete approve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment