Monday, January 29, 2024

Jamaican Flying 15

29 Jan 24:

From the bench of Murray:

Unbeknownst to Uffa, a Jamaican built his own version of the Flying Fifteen.


Unfortunately he did not taper the strakes enough so some of the planks came up to the deck at gunnel level. He was convinced to donate the hull and sails to me as a project. I think he got the length and beam exactly right.

I found a broken Dragon mast which I used.   I repaired/ replaced some planks  (Teredo Navalis damage), fitted new transom,  new timbers to support a new keel.  I re-cast the lead in a barrel over an open fire to the shape I wanted.   She sailed quite nicely.



Sunscreen? What's that?


Exploring woods foreign to me, I ended up with Guango (Saman Rain Tree) for the transom and Mahoe for the timbers, Caribbean Pine for planking.   Wood shavings have distinct odours, in this case Guango--strawberry jam, Mahoe --dog poop, Pine-- pine.

Regards, Murray

PS I got very close to buying "Tin Lizzie".   I heard later that she had sunk in Kingston Harbour, Ja.


No comments:

Post a Comment