Thursday, January 18, 2024

Sea Stories: "We're There" from Richard

18 Jan 24:

From Richard: 

My late brother, Steve and I both shared our life long' love of sailing, especially when it came to spending a day on the water in my 24’00” Raven Class Sailboat,“Proud Mary". Sailing was in our blood. The Raven was not only a comfortable sailboat, but also extremely fast.  
     After Steve unexpectedly passed away in 2021, we installed a wooden bench overlooking the inner Winthrop Harbor here where we spent many summers sailing. A few people have asked me about origin of the phrase, "We're there" on my brother Steve's memorial bench?  
     When Steve would be taking a small group out on the Proud Mary sailing for the first time, they'd be heading out to the harbor and someone would ask, "Steve, where are we going?” Are we going to sail up into Boston Harbor? Or maybe out to the harbor islands? Steve would respond, "where are we going?" "where are we going?""We're there!" "We're sailing!" With Steve, the destination was sailing. We’re sailing! "We're there!”






What a beautiful boat! We need to learn more about that. Also Richard has great stories about dodging airliners near Boston's Logan airport. I always wondered who that was out having fun in a sailboat, while I was having fun bringing my jet in for a landing on runway 4R.

Thank you Richard and Steve and PROUD MARY for sharing your story. We look forward to listening to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment