Saturday, November 24, 2018

Alcort Super Sailfish ZSA ZSA 24 Nov 18 Hull Fairing

24 Nov 18:

Stanley #5 jack plane and 60 grit to smooth the scarf joint. I tried a belt sander first but was afraid it would go too far, and I'd have to start over or maybe even have to put on a new panel. So I went and found the jack plane, it worked in small increments and I could feel the panel as I planed it, much more comfortable with that. I credit watching a few of Paul Sellers videos with pulling the hand planes and chisels back out, got motivated to try the power sharpener and get a working edge back on them again. Once the work piece is held securely and the plane is tuned right, it is fun to find the right body position and shave off little bits at a time. I ran the orbital sander over the panel afterwards out of habit, but it really didn't need it in prep for fairing compound and primer.


Starboard side scarf joint was a little proud on a bit, took off one layer of ply. Easy to go slow on that with the plane. That leaves 4 layers of ply, a layer of epoxy and 5 more layers of ply on the panel underneath.


TotalFair epoxy fairing compound from Jamestown Distributors. Part A is the resin and Part B is the hardener, mix equal amounts til it turns green.






Rub rail needs some attention, luckily just this 2 foot section.


Log of ZSA ZSA.


No comments:

Post a Comment